Gotrax gxl

Gompka

Gotrax gxl

Postby Gompka Wed May 15, 2019 7:03 pm

Hello, with the gotrax gxl gaining steam in popularity I was wondering if there was any interest here to discuss it in the forum. I have one that I have been using for about a week and it is a pretty good package. I have taken it apart and am posting the information here.

The pictures are of the esc and the led and its driver board. There is a screen on this scooter, but I did not take it apart because everything is sealed in and it looks like there is only a display there and nothing else.

The led looks to be a 1 watt unit and it is pretty bright and very useable at night.

The battery has 5 pins at the top and 3 pins at the bottom, Pin #1 is ground, Pin#2 is Positive, the next 3 pins are connected with the pins at the bottom of the battery and they seem to be the 3 phase wires going to the BLDC motor.

This scooter does support regen braking and there is a microswitch in the brake lever. There is no app for this scooter, and unless there is a bluetooth module attached to the units screen I have not seen a bluetooth module on the unit. I am not yet sure how to remove the lcd screen, will take pictures once i figure it out.

mustnap

Re: Gotrax gxl

Postby mustnap Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:27 am

Thank you for the post. I am interested in taking this apart, i got handed over a Gotrax GXL 1st gen, which the owner said, suddenly stopped working while he was riding it. Batter looks good still, so not sure why it stopped working when someone was riding it. The throttle level did not work.

What's the best way in your opinion for me to inspect what could be the issue? Need a multimeter? Where do i start?
heima

Postby heima Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:20 pm

Thanks for doing this. I just got a Gotrax GXL V2, and it seems that there is very little, if any, regen braking. In fact, pulling on the brake lever, I do not hear a microswitch clicking. I can see wires in there though. Is there a microswitch, or possibly a hall effect sensor? I drive an electric car, so I know about regen, but this scooter seems to be lacking it.
Mynakedrat

Postby Mynakedrat Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:55 pm

Welp, after about 15 miles of decent use, mine is toast. Need a new dash and controller.
Error 30
Then just no power on. Multimeter is showing a couple failed parts, one motor wire unseated itself, and two linear rectifiers fell off.
What junk.
hackstergirl

Postby hackstergirl Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:19 pm

I am sure there is gotta be a way to mod the ESC to bypass the 15.5mph limit.
Have you experimented with it? can you post the chip number? I see it is an NEC but the numbers aren't clear in the picture.
I just bought this scooter and I am now working on a battery addon to double the range.
if there is enough interest I will post details.
fred911

Postby fred911 Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:40 pm

''I just bought this scooter and I am now working on a battery addon to double the range.
if there is enough interest I will post details.''

Micah Toll who's a pretty knowledgeable guy did a video on exactly what you're seeking. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSLmV5K3JSA . He's a pretty straight shooter and doesn't accept sponsorship for his reviews, therefore they're not biased. He has written a book on building battery packs that's and outstanding read and has been doing this for quite a few years. No relation to the guy, just a fan and reader.

And on the ESC mod, there seems to be very little work or mod data on the GXLs. Actually I've seen none. I might have interest in the same but when you think about it, the ESC on the GLXs seems to be set up quite perfectly. I mean it doesn't reduce speed and actually squeezes quite a bit of miles on the smaller battery it's equipped with.

As far as the previous comment on very little regen braking, I disagree. I regularly go up quite a grade and brake quite frequently on the return trip and always see the battery meter increase. I know that's subjective but I notice regen all the time.

Now for the reason of my post, how many rear fenders have you all replaced. I replaced one 30 days ago, there's been no impact and I don't even use it as a tiller support [never fold it down] and I have another failure. It fails due to harmonic vibration or possibly flex in the foot board. I ride frequently but don't impact or crash, so this is a design failure has anyone a fix for this? I'm 3 days past the Amazon warranty so I filed one with Gotrax, it's also a 90 day warranty item. I don't want to replace another one. Let me know if you have a solution.

thanks
Ronan

Postby Ronan Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:33 am

I just got a GXL v2. Have you found out any other mods or hacks?
jamieoliver

Postby jamieoliver Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:33 am

Thanks very much for your devoted review of this Gotrax gxl. I think it deserves to be bought. Do you agree with me?
flixdle
stephanilope

Postby stephanilope Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:14 am

It is possible that this scooter does not have bluetooth module support on the device. You need tools like pliers, scissors... to be able to remove the screen. But be careful when you do slope ball
shark0175

Postby shark0175 Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:08 am

I am very interested in Gotrax gxl. Can you show me the details of its parts? drift boss fall guys

Return to “Other scooters”