ES4 still won't go above 24kph after BMS & DRV updates.

Sledhead70

ES4 still won't go above 24kph after BMS & DRV updates.

Postby Sledhead70 Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:49 pm

Looking for some guidance on next steps to get my scooter back up to higher speeds. I used to be able to go 29-30kph in the bike lanes, but about 3 weeks ago it suddenly cut to 24kph. I have made sure it is getting a full charge, and both batteries look good based on the Ninebot app info. I figured it had something to do with the FW so I read through all of the posts and flashed the BMS on both batteries (confirmed via Ninebot app), and flashed to 1.3.9 DRV with only the max speed at 35 kmh and the MPC to 45000 (I initially tried 50k with no differences noticed).

I still only get 24 kph and with only 320 km on the unit I wouldn't expect it is the batteries being bad already since I have another ES4 that has 560 km which was still zipping around at 29-30kph until the 1.5.1 update.

Any ideas?
Last edited by Sledhead70 on Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lothean
Site Admin

Re: ES4 still won't go above 15mph after BMS & DRV updates.

Postby Lothean Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:44 pm

Take apart external battery and inspect connectors on both sides.
AND STOP USING FREEDOM UNITS! This is an international board - use metric, please!
Why should we ALL go on with the hassle of converting when you're the only ones using units stuck in the past?
colonelkernel

Postby colonelkernel Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:19 am

AND STOP USING FREEDOM UNITS! This is an international board - use metric, please!
Why should we ALL go on with the hassle of converting when you're the only ones using units stuck in the past?
Would it be possible to change the firmware to display mph instead of kmh? :lol:
Lothean
Site Admin

Postby Lothean Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:12 am

Would it be possible to change the firmware to display mph instead of kmh? :lol:
Actually, there's a setting for that in the Ninebot-App.
My point wasn't that people shouldn't use mph on their scooter, it was that they should on international communities ;)
Sledhead70

Re: ES4 still won't go above 24kph after BMS & DRV updates.

Postby Sledhead70 Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:31 pm

Thanks for the inputs. I have adjusted my post to reflect metric instead of standard. I will check the connections tonight although I must admit that the batteries both show up and both drain equally when riding. As well, I still have the ability to climb steeper hills that I wasn't able to with the single battery. If you have any other suggestions let me know. Otherwise I will follow up this weekend on the terminal health or not.

One other note, as I was riding to work yesterday the scooter wouldn't get above 19 km/h with the updates still applied. I pulled over and let the Ninebot app do all the updates to get the scooter back to factory as a test. The rest of the ride home it was the same 19 km/h limit. The motor and bottom of the stem were only slightly warm so it is not as if it was overheating and protecting itself. I am stumped on this.
Sledhead70

Postby Sledhead70 Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:33 pm

Quick update...I checked the terminals and no corrosion so I am back to square one. Any other suggestions? Thank you in advance.
michachael

Postby michachael Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:09 pm

Quick update...I checked the terminals and no corrosion so I am back to square one. Any other suggestions? Thank you in advance.
Sorry for being off topic, but how do you update your BMS on both batteries? I did a custom firmware flash, but BMS remains. Thank you and good luck. I am having similar issue.
Sledhead70

Postby Sledhead70 Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:54 pm

Sorry for being off topic, but how do you update your BMS on both batteries? I did a custom firmware flash, but BMS remains. Thank you and good luck. I am having similar issue.
I downloaded the Ninebot-Flasher for Windows from the toolbox thread, and when connected it had the ability to upload the BMS file for each battery. I hope that helps.

Let me know if you figure out the reduced speed issue as I mentioned.
michachael

Postby michachael Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:36 pm

I downloaded the Ninebot-Flasher for Windows from the toolbox thread, and when connected it had the ability to upload the BMS file for each battery. I hope that helps.

Where did you have the possibility to upload and flash the BMS file for each battery?! I can just flash it with custom firmware (bin file). I have one BMS at v 141 currently, but having 2 batteries....
Sledhead70

Postby Sledhead70 Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:01 am

Where did you have the possibility to upload and flash the BMS file for each battery?! I can just flash it with custom firmware (bin file). I have one BMS at v 141 currently, but having 2 batteries....
Did you download the Ninebot-Flasher? The link is in this thread... viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3

I downloaded the BMS files here (https://files.scooterhacking.org/esx/fw/bms/)

Using the Ninebot Flasher I start the scan after turning my scooter on, select my scooter in the list and then connect. Once you open a file (in this case the BMS file you download) you will see 2 buttons to flash the BMS (one says Flash eBMS which is the external).

Return to “Ninebot ES and E-series”