ES4 firmware, to update or not to update

Chacer

ES4 firmware, to update or not to update

Postby Chacer Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:11 am

Hi guys
I have a question. I have been thinking about it for a while and read around, but I can’t get a definitive answer. Should I update the firmware on my ES4? I’m worried that it might add some kind of speed limit or something. I live in Denmark and the speed limit here is 20 or 15 km/h, I’m not totally sure. Currently it hits 30km/h and I want to keep it that way. Current firmware is Master Control 1.3.9, BMS 1.3.6 and BLE 1.0.7. I’ve read the BMS update gives better battery life. Is it possible to only update the BMS? I’m quite happy with it right now, but more battery life is always nice. What is your experience with the new firmware? What do you think I should do?

Also does the Battery Maintenance thing in the iOS app do anything? Seems like nothing happens when I press it.

Best regards
CDogg

Re: ES4 firmware, to update or not to update

Postby CDogg Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:23 am

Greetings from the U.S. !!

So to answer part 1 of your question: should you update the ES4 firmware, I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that this is some retail version of the the ES4 that you probably purchased online ie; Amazon? If this is the case, and it's not a former rental scooter, then I don't think updating the firmware will limit your speed. Usually, the way it works for US and EU markets, Segway has them limited to 15.5mph (25kmh) and the extra battery allows for the extra speed increase to 18mph (29kmh). So if you have the retail version of the scooter, and you update through the official Segway app, it shouldn't limit your speed.

Part 2 of your question about the BMS firmware, you can update that through the Segway app as well. To answer whether you should or not? This depends on where you obtained the scooter. If you update the firmware and your scooter serial number is from a country where its limited to 25kmh and your phone location is pinging servers from a speed restricted country, then I've heard it could possibly restrict your speed.

To be very certain about this, you should contact a Segway distributor near you so you can get full clarification. And consider using an Android with a VPN and set a mock location for China, RU, or AU as I'm pretty sure they aren't restricted to 25~30kmh and will do the full 32-33 kmh.

Otherwise, I say you speedhack that badboy and see what it's really capable of!

Return to “Ninebot ES and E-series”