Walmart Special ES4 Advice!

GuyOnTheeAir

Walmart Special ES4 Advice!

Postby GuyOnTheeAir Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:26 pm

Hello,

Purchased the Walmart Bird ES4-800 Refurb a couple days ago for $199 (plus tax and the 3 year extended warranty for $22.)

Arrived today!

Put the stem on, connected the cables, and it all seems to work, and is charging up. Put it in Bluetooth pairing mode, and that also seems to connect to the Segway NInebot Android App 5.1.8.

App wants me to upgrade firmware immediately.

Current versions:
Master control: 1.3.4
BLE: B.4.0
BMS: 1.3.6
Battery 2: 1.3.6

Versions it's offering to update to:
Master control 1.6.2
BMS: 1.4.9
Battery 2: 1.4.9

Apps claims the firmware updates "optimizes the riding experience while climbing, fixes a problem that the brake may fail in some cases, supports the recognition of the Ninebot Engine Speaker, improves stability, and optimizes battery performance.

Other notes:

--Scooter's name is NBscooter7560, and I can choose to change it, but the change doesn't stick.
--Appears I can successfully connect to the scooter, lock/unlock, turn on cruise mode, change energy recycle options, and use the dashboard. Batteries successfully charge to 100%.
--It appears underneath lights are working and change colors (disco mode?) but I have no controls for them in the app.
--Serial number shows in the app. If I tap the scooter name, I can see the name I assigned, and the scooter shows as "Ninebot KickScooter E45D" which suggests, from my searching, this this is a German model?
--Nine Dash app can connect, but can't seem to show serial, versions, battery info, etc. Just shows "loading" forever.

I would like to be able to play with the underneath lights, or go faster than 15.5 mph (which the box and manual says it's limited to.)

Questions:

--Should I attempt the firmware updates in the app? Or not?
--Should I try "hacking" this in some way? Since it seems to "working", is it worth it, or will it require new hardware from eBay?
--What's the best way to lock this scooter or make people think it's not a "real" Bird? Locking cable through back tire? Through "cage" around 2nd battery?
--Any way to easily and cleanly remove the "Bird" sticker on the front?
--Since I really do legally own this (not pretending I got at auction, or some other method) (and I have the receipt) is there a risk of it getting taken by Bird employees or chargers?
--Any tips for a newbie?

Thanks so much. I've been scouring this forum since I placed my online order, and it wasn't supposed to come until Monday, but now it's here today and I'm so excited!
xjosh

Re: Walmart Special ES4 Advice!

Postby xjosh Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:50 pm

Hey just got my Walmart special too, along with a few of my friends. I think we're all on same version. I did try to upgrade using Ninebot app on both IOS and Android, no go. I tried ESDownG and XiaoFlasher, too on Android with custom and original FW. Always fails to flash. I'm kinda stuck on that at the moment. I'd like to squeeze a few more MPH out and maybe improve the brake operation. I'm new to these scooters so not sure what's going on, but I'm going to try on Windows 10 when I can get my hands on a Windows machine.

So I don't really have any answers to your questions, just sharing my experience. I did make a "Not a Rental" label to go onto the usual QR placard. I hadn't thought of Bird affiliated folks messing with it. I was more thinking of randos trying to unlock it or generally "treating it like a rental". I may get a piece of vinyl wrap to wrap the stem tube over the label and obscure it, though. One of my friends is planning to hit his with rattle-can Plasti-Dip.

I'll report back if I figure anything out.
Royal2000H

Postby Royal2000H Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:08 am

I bought this too so can confirm the above about being able to connect via Bluetooth to the official app as well as m365 tools and ES_downG. I haven't tried flashing any firmware but sounds like everyone fails.

It's very weird that the box and manual both used to say top speed 18.6 mph and have stickers covering that up to say 15.5 mph. Makes you wonder if there's an easy fix there to enable it.

Any ideas how to change the km/h to mph on the scooter display? I changed it in the official app but that seems to just change the app and not the scooter. When you turn on the scooter, it does light up the mph briefly so I think it should be possible.

Happy to see Cruise Control works.

Will keep an eye on this thread.

Edit: Tried flashing with ES downG and can confirm it doesn't work.
ScootScooter

Postby ScootScooter Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:14 pm

Made an account since I also purchased one, mine fails to update through the Ninebot application, it does connect though. I did stumble upon this on another forum if someone is just trying to increase the speed limit. I thought since these were purchased legitimately, it would've been easier to update stuff, but apparently not. I've read older threads on this scooter and it seems like you'd have to purchase a stock dash and control board (~$50 total) or flash it (soldering required).

1. On a Windows PC with bluetooth install Ninebot-Flasher by majsi from the Microsoft Apps Store
2. Connect to the Ninebot ES2/ES4 and enter the serial number N2GTX2222C0077
3. With the cursor in the field press Ctrl-Alt-A
4. Press the Write ESC Sn button

After the serial change the max speed was 28 km/h.

Source: Scooterhacking.org - Change serial number (BLE, ST Link)
dssguy1

Postby dssguy1 Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:12 pm

Same question. I bought 3 of these Walmart specials for my family. Been messing with one so far but none of the firmware updates from any of the official or custom software finish the process.

Everything I have read is about having to add a BLE module because you can't connect without it but these connect fine in all software and many of the settings adjust and stick.

Seems like this is a different situation than everyone was describing in 2019. Anybody have a guide to follow to get these either updated to official Ninebot firmware OR the custom firmware?
Royal2000H

Postby Royal2000H Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:35 pm

It's killing me that one of my scooter's display shows MPH, the other shows km/h and I can't figure out how to change them.
GuyOnTheeAir

Postby GuyOnTheeAir Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:22 pm

It's killing me that one of my scooter's display shows MPH, the other shows km/h and I can't figure out how to change them.
For me, I was getting this too. in the Nine Dash Android app, there is a setting to "show in km/h", and that's off. However, if i turn it on, disconnect, reconnect, turn it off, disconnect, reconnect, I get MPH on the scooter!
GuyOnTheeAir

Postby GuyOnTheeAir Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:29 pm

So I don't really have any answers to your questions, just sharing my experience. I did make a "Not a Rental" label to go onto the usual QR placard. I hadn't thought of Bird affiliated folks messing with it. I was more thinking of randos trying to unlock it or generally "treating it like a rental". I may get a piece of vinyl wrap to wrap the stem tube over the label and obscure it, though. One of my friends is planning to hit his with rattle-can Plasti-Dip.
I have a friend that Plasti-Dip's everything. So I may go that route. I bet the sticker comes off, but I don't want to leave behind a residue, or have to paint or something anyway. Mine came is pretty top shape condition, although it seems it's been ridden perhaps 100 miles.

The GPS tracking in the Ninebox app doesn't seem to work very good at all, but that could also be blamed on my phone, I guess.

Your "not a rental" idea is a good one, and I've just done that now.

Also, my "bell" was broken out of the box... :-( I'm not sure if it's worth hassling. I think I'll put a loud Amazon source electric thing on it like I use on my bike. Friends remark it's "so loud." But, I'm like, that is the point. I want people to hear me, if I'm using it. The bell is a joke.
GuyOnTheeAir

Postby GuyOnTheeAir Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:32 pm

Made an account since I also purchased one, mine fails to update through the Ninebot application, it does connect though. I did stumble upon this on another forum if someone is just trying to increase the speed limit. I thought since these were purchased legitimately, it would've been easier to update stuff, but apparently not. I've read older threads on this scooter and it seems like you'd have to purchase a stock dash and control board (~$50 total) or flash it (soldering required).

1. On a Windows PC with bluetooth install Ninebot-Flasher by majsi from the Microsoft Apps Store
2. Connect to the Ninebot ES2/ES4 and enter the serial number N2GTX2222C0077
3. With the cursor in the field press Ctrl-Alt-A
4. Press the Write ESC Sn button

After the serial change the max speed was 28 km/h.

Source: Scooterhacking.org - Change serial number (BLE, ST Link)
This may work. Who knows. Anyone want to try it? The serial I get in the apps is 2 digits off from the serial on the sticker on the bottom of mine, which I find odd. I don't think it matters what serial you have, but may throw off the official app, I guess... I'd just want to copy down what one I have now, in case it makes it worse...

Somewhere I'd seen an explanation of the serial numbers, but I haven't looked up again, now that I have a serial to review it with.
Royal2000H

Postby Royal2000H Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:01 am

For me, I was getting this too. in the Nine Dash Android app, there is a setting to "show in km/h", and that's off. However, if i turn it on, disconnect, reconnect, turn it off, disconnect, reconnect, I get MPH on the scooter!
Nine Dash app worked for me! Thank you!

Return to “Ninebot ES and E-series”