BMS UART protocol?

michaelc

BMS UART protocol?

Postby michaelc Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:45 pm

HI guys,

Short Story: I'm looking for the commands & protocol to directly communicate with the battery BMS. I've searched the internet and tried a couple of things, but no luck yet. What bytes do I need to send to read/write the BMS registers.

Long story: I've gone through 2 Ninebots already. The first one burning out after a couple of weeks, only to wait for a repair so that Ninebot could send me a brand new one. I've had this one for a couple of months, but that motor controller burned out also. Since I'm an electronics student, I thought it would be a good project to actually start from scratch and design my own control board/interface using the existing battery. For that of course, I would like to read/write data using UART to the BMS.

Some things I think about doing: using a waterproof circular touchscreen io the led panel, using a nice display library. Display battery health, mA...; in detail. Maybe also integrating location services from Google... once you start using cortex A, possibilities are limitless. The most important: using high quality parts that don't burn out every x months!

If I don't figure out the BMS protocol, I will be forced to use my own battery cells and creating a custom BMS, which is possible; but these things cost money and I figured the TI ic that is used in the BMS is actually a great quality one. If I were to create my own cells though, I would place them in the bottom of the frame, trying to make the ES more stable.

anyone interested in helping?
thanks!! greetings from Belgium
drdionross

Re: BMS UART protocol?

Postby drdionross Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:38 am

I'm quite keen to learn this also.
Sure, you can use an arduino or usb to uart/ttl converter board to talk to the battery directly, I've gotten that far already, but all the program can read is BMS version, I want to be able to read more like yourself
F0xMaster

Postby F0xMaster Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:03 pm

If you can connect to the battery using a serial to USB adapter and want to see more details, you can use IAP versions 2.2.1 and higher coz they have this functionality (battery tab).
jeferson15

Postby jeferson15 Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:04 am

Hi, I recommend this Russian forum, talk about how they managed to see the protocol of the xiaomi m365, it may work for you, I also want to emulate the bms of the es2 https://electro.club/forum/podklyucheni ... atu?page=2

Return to “Ninebot ES and E-series”