ES4 top speed questions. it brakes at 21mph?

j0hann3sk

Re: ES4 top speed questions. it brakes at 21mph?

Postby j0hann3sk Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:27 am

I also tried a few different Settings but it could not find a solution yet.
I recognized that the Auto Brake does not appear so fast if the battery is at 100% capacity.

The fastest Speed without Auto Brake i can get was 33 km/h.
DB Cooper

Postby DB Cooper Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:24 pm

I also tried a few different Settings but it could not find a solution yet.
I recognized that the Auto Brake does not appear so fast if the battery is at 100% capacity.

The fastest Speed without Auto Brake i can get was 33 km/h.
With Alt Throttle Program, I can get 38-39 kmh and then severe and aggressive auto-brake kicks in. Sometimes it kicks in at less, like 36-37, it's unpredictable. If I really work the throttle and find the sweet spot, I can cruise for a long time and hold it right at 37-38 kmh, but it's so much effort as too much throttle and you immediately hit the auto-brake wall.

This morning I flashed CFW with 36 kmh max speed, no other changes (no alt throttle). The scooter maxes out at 34 kmh and it basically does not go faster. It's like the factory condition, it's not that it auto-brakes it just stops accelerating and smoothly cruises at 34 kmh forever. It won't go 36 kmh, so I'm finding the max speed setting in CFW does have an impact, but it seems to not be 100% accurate with the scooter's speedometer.

I tested 38 kmh a few days ago, and I recall no auto-brake, but 39 kmh max speed setting certainly introduced auto-brake. I'm going to test 38 again and verify what the max is and that it does not auto-brake. Basically, I'm looking for the highest speed setting I can set where it just smoothly stays at the top speed and doesn't pulse auto-brake on and off.

Finally, unfortunately, Alt Throttle Program seems to overwrite any custom speed setting (or disables it entirely). I've tried Alt Throttle with a 32 kmh limit, and the scooter blows through 32 to 38 and then hits the auto-brake wall pretty intensely.
Earthy

Postby Earthy Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:34 pm

I have been testing daily different MPC settings always with Alternative Throttle with my ES4 for 2 weeks, and come to the conclusion that the speed increase max to 37-38 kph really only take effect between 100-85%, then everything is limited to roughly 30-32 kph max speed afterwards. Can anyone else confirm this, or does not using the Alternative Throttle provide speeds above 33 kph after 85% usage?
DB Cooper

Postby DB Cooper Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:23 pm

I have been testing daily different MPC settings always with Alternative Throttle with my ES4 for 2 weeks, and come to the conclusion that the speed increase max to 37-38 kph really only take effect between 100-85%, then everything is limited to roughly 30-32 kph max speed afterwards. Can anyone else confirm this, or does not using the Alternative Throttle provide speeds above 33 kph after 85% usage?
Thanks for the contributing. I also came here this morning to confirm basically similar results. I typically only ride about 3 miles (5 km) on a charge (basically from where I park my car to my office, I then charge, then go back to my car. The next morning, I go back to the office - each way is <2 km).

However, on Friday, I scooted about 15 km to meet my wife. I noticed towards the end of the trip that the speed brake was coming on sooner, but it actually wasn't that bad. However, I did not charge the car and just rode from my car to my work with about 40% battery, and as you pointed out, it really seems like there's a 32 kmh limit. I'm not sure it's quite at <85% as you stated, but maybe more like <70%.

I can also confirm that 38 kmh is slightly too high. On major flats I was still getting the auto-brake. Going back to 36 kmh for extended testing.

Finally, what MPC are you running? Have you found a way to limit speed with Alt Throttle Program. I feel Alt Throttle Program has a higher absolute speed limit, but it also causes a very strong auto-brake that's almsot dangerous, I'd love to use Alt Throttle at maybe lock in at 37-38 kmh (real speed, not CFW speed).
Earthy

Postby Earthy Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:27 pm

Thanks for the contributing. I also came here this morning to confirm basically similar results. I typically only ride about 3 miles (5 km) on a charge (basically from where I park my car to my office, I then charge, then go back to my car. The next morning, I go back to the office - each way is <2 km).

However, on Friday, I scooted about 15 km to meet my wife. I noticed towards the end of the trip that the speed brake was coming on sooner, but it actually wasn't that bad. However, I did not charge the car and just rode from my car to my work with about 40% battery, and as you pointed out, it really seems like there's a 32 kmh limit. I'm not sure it's quite at <85% as you stated, but maybe more like <70%.

I can also confirm that 38 kmh is slightly too high. On major flats I was still getting the auto-brake. Going back to 36 kmh for extended testing.

Finally, what MPC are you running? Have you found a way to limit speed with Alt Throttle Program. I feel Alt Throttle Program has a higher absolute speed limit, but it also causes a very strong auto-brake that's almsot dangerous, I'd love to use Alt Throttle at maybe lock in at 37-38 kmh (real speed, not CFW speed).
I am running it at 42000 MPC with Alt Throttle, and default speed max. I even took the MPC to 55000 to see if that would stop the auto braking, but no success. I have tried MPC between 42000-55000 and nothing will limit the speed. Not using the Alt Throttle is the only way to do so, but I have become so accustomed to the Alt Throttle, that I can ride without it. If I donate use it, any small shake in my hand makes the ride very jerky as it slightly moves the accelerator.
DB Cooper

Postby DB Cooper Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:21 pm

I am running it at 42000 MPC with Alt Throttle, and default speed max. I even took the MPC to 55000 to see if that would stop the auto braking, but no success. I have tried MPC between 42000-55000 and nothing will limit the speed. Not using the Alt Throttle is the only way to do so, but I have become so accustomed to the Alt Throttle, that I can ride without it. If I donate use it, any small shake in my hand makes the ride very jerky as it slightly moves the accelerator.
Do you see higher top speeds on Alt Throttle. I can get 37-38 true versus only 34 without alt throttle (full charge for both).
HolgerB

Postby HolgerB Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:31 am

Good afternoon all,

I am facing the same challenge with my ES2 + external battery pack.
The last config in cfw (1.3.9) is hacks in speed (38km/h), battery power 42000 and kers low. Alternative acceleration logarithm deactivated.

This morning I experienced a less brutal breaking than before, but speed was kind a like unstable. On the flat I got to 34km/h before the scooter slowed down in a quite soft manner. Downhill it braked to 32.

So any other experiences with a comparable config so far?
michachael

Postby michachael Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:29 pm

Good afternoon all,

I am facing the same challenge with my ES2 + external battery pack.
The last config in cfw (1.3.9) is hacks in speed (38km/h), battery power 42000 and kers low. Alternative acceleration logarithm deactivated.

This morning I experienced a less brutal breaking than before, but speed was kind a like unstable. On the flat I got to 34km/h before the scooter slowed down in a quite soft manner. Downhill it braked to 32.

So any other experiences with a comparable config so far?
I'm sorry to go a bit off topic, but I am hoping you can help me as you have the same setup as me (ES2 with extenral pack). Trying to get past the 25km/h, but unsuccesful so far.

-ES2Lite but changed serial number to a ES2, format N2GTX1111C0077 >> Do you have similar SN format?
-Custom firmware 5.5.1 (1.5.1) with max speed 34KMH and motor power 49000
-BME v 141 >> Do you also have this BME version?
-BLE v 104
-External battery

Thank you!
Lothean
Site Admin

Postby Lothean Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:54 am

Topic is pointless, you won't reach higher speeds until you either increase the supply voltage (yep, speed is limited by voltage; which explains why the top speed can reduce when the battery voltage gets lower) or increase the wheel size.
pgre9150

Postby pgre9150 Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:29 pm

Topic is pointless, you won't reach higher speeds until you either increase the supply voltage (yep, speed is limited by voltage; which explains why the top speed can reduce when the battery voltage gets lower) or increase the wheel size.
This is exactly what I wrote before. The Question ist: How to increase the supply voltage to get more speed?

Return to “Ninebot ES and E-series”