Converting Spin Max

rex72727

Converting Spin Max

Postby rex72727 Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:15 am

Hey Everyone,

Great community here, found so much help with my M365!!

It appears Spin has replaced it's fleet locally and I'd love to give one a go. I cannot get the damn security screws off, I read somewhere you can just crush or otherwise destroy the black box on front and then unplug it and remove the GPS - can anyone confirm?

After this, I also read it can be done with just ST-Link which I have still from trying to convert an ES2 before ruining it with my shaky hands. Anyway I have a friend to help with soldering so I'm super excited to hear what the true process is!

Thank you so much!

Rex
Toot4Scoot

Re: Converting Spin Max

Postby Toot4Scoot Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:45 am

Hey Everyone,

Great community here, found so much help with my M365!!

It appears Spin has replaced it's fleet locally and I'd love to give one a go. I cannot get the damn security screws off, I read somewhere you can just crush or otherwise destroy the black box on front and then unplug it and remove the GPS - can anyone confirm?

After this, I also read it can be done with just ST-Link which I have still from trying to convert an ES2 before ruining it with my shaky hands. Anyway I have a friend to help with soldering so I'm super excited to hear what the true process is!

Thank you so much!

Rex
Yes, I can confirm for the Spin model max, that once the gps is disconnected it no longer plays any role in the conversion process(can basically leave the wiring inside the front pole.

One suggestion I could make regarding the STlink connection is to instead of attempting to solder directly onto the dash PCB, consider fabricating a "plug" that you could place on the PCB contacts.

Its not literally a plug that connects and stays fastened, but you get my point I hope. Lol

What I did was use staples I straightened out and spaced them on a piece of tape to match the spacing of the 3 contacts on the PCB. Then I soldered the STlink wires onto the staples and used a little piece of rubber(foam or anything firm but can easily be penetrated should work) to push them through to give some rigidity. Then I just place them on the contacts and hold in place with tape.

I came up with the idea after coming within a couple seconds of melting the dash beyond any use.😉 its a fairly tight spot to have to access, and for me was nearly impossible to make the solder without exposing the display from excessive heat from my Benzomatic butane soldering tool. Figured that could help you to avoid any project killing accident from occurring. If the dash is useless, you're basically at the same point you would be with a lyft model and have to find a legit dash to purchase AND THEN go through the flashing
rex72727

Postby rex72727 Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:50 pm

Awesome idea! Someone else mentioned just held em there or something, don't know why I didn't do that with the ES2 that I fried, took off the resistor in the middle of the dash trying to solder to that area :( Have a worthless ES2 downstairs I suppose.

Anyway, could you point me to the right place to find where to attach the wires and what I'm flashing?

I'm at a bit of an impasse as my Torx Tamper kit doesn't fit in the stupid hex tamper bolts Spin uses but better than having to replace everything.

I guess I just need a flashing tutorial?

Thanks!
Toot4Scoot

Postby Toot4Scoot Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:51 am

Anyway, could you point me to the right place to find where to attach the wires and what I'm flashing?

I'm at a bit of an impasse as my Torx Tamper kit doesn't fit in the stupid hex tamper bolts Spin uses but better than having to replace everything.

Thanks!
The complete step by step can be found here viewtopic.php?f=26&t=208
Along with explanations, WARNINGS, and required files and links to those files. If you need to do an SN change, the step by step guide can be found here viewtopic.php?f=26&t=209

BTW, the bolts you're referring to arent hex tamperproof, they are pentalobe security bolts. You wont be finding bits for those at your nearest homedepot. More than likely you'd need to order a set from a manufacturer if you can find one that will sell you only 1 set.
But, there really is no need to take it apart unless you need to replace something broken. After sucessfully flashing the dash and CFW, you'd have it on the road with no other work necessary.
bilzbub

Postby bilzbub Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:14 am

Thanks!
Along with explanations, WARNINGS, and required files and links to those files. If you need to do an SN change, the step by step guide can be found here viewtopic.php?f=26&t=209

BTW, the bolts you're referring to arent hex tamperproof, they are pentalobe security bolts. You wont be finding bits for those at your nearest homedepot. More than likely you'd need to order a set from a manufacturer if you can find one that will sell you only 1 set.
But, there really is no need to take it apart unless you need to replace something broken. After sucessfully flashing the dash and CFW, you'd have it on the road with no other work necessary.
straight up served up. thanks you for hookin it up so concisely.
rex72727

Postby rex72727 Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:37 pm

Wow awesome response guys!

My only remaining worry was that it was/is flashing the 32 error. I'm just gonna power thru this and hopefully with the help of a buddy just hold the wires on and not actually solder them.

Thanks!
CDogg

Postby CDogg Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:29 pm

Thanks!

I just wanted to add my 2 cents regarding Spin and their clever "penta-whatever" 5 side screws. Usually, when I need to adapt on the fly like this, the first place I check for tools I don't have, is Amazon. They carry a bit set that makes short work of changing parts for Spin scooters:
Wolfride 2 Set of 7Pcs 5 Point... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WD8MHDJ?re ... b_ap_share

Hope that helps. I haven't had any issues with mine 👍
BuzzBoy30

Postby BuzzBoy30 Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:23 am

[deleted]
Last edited by BuzzBoy30 on Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Toot4Scoot

Postby Toot4Scoot Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:09 pm

So, here has been my experience trying to convert a Spin Max.

Using the guide here on Scooter Hacking forums, I flashed the rental dash with BLE555. This automatically begins to cause problems. The dash (now flashed with BLE555) does not connect to apps such as ESdownG or Ninebot Flasher. Second, as soon as BLE555 is flashed, I have begun to receive Error 32, as Rex has as well. This pretty much bricks the device. Another step which is not mentioned above is how to override the IoT as well. If your scooter has one, the black box on the front is the IoT. No one has mentioned if the IoT needs to be flashed as well, and if so, how to proceed with that step.

I know it is a work in progress, but a dedicated guide for specifically flashing the Spin scooters would be greatly appreciated.

If the flash instructions were followed precisely and in the correct order, I can't figure why you would be having problems connecting to the various apps. As far as the IOT for the spin GPS unit, once disconnected, it should no longer play a role in the communication between the dash and ESC.
Unless of course you happen to have a unit that no longer resembles(wiring schematics) previous models that most of us are experienced with.
I would suggest trying the flash procedures again and see what you come up with.
rex72727

Postby rex72727 Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:25 pm

Thanks for all the updates, a buddy of mine was able to get it all to work. I'll let him share how because he figured it out...

I'm still stuck removing the handlebars from the stem, it is secured with security hex bolts so I ordered this from Amazon,

https://imgur.com/eSaAzQd
but the closest one is either too big or too small. I've probably just going to remove the bottom and disconnect the battery to reset the dash after flashing it not sure how else to do it. The Spin my friend was working on had Torx security bolts where as mine has hex security bolts.

Any ideas what size I need?

Thanks!

Return to “Ninebot KS Max”